Monday, November 7, 2016

Hacksaw Ridge (2016) Review

Hacksaw Ridge is the latest film directed by Mel Gibson. It's set during World War II and centers around Desmond Doss (played by Andrew Garfield), a combat medic who was notable for saving several wounded soldiers without ever firing a weapon. I didn't see any of the trailers, so I went in blind. When I left the auditorium, I found myself thinking "Dang, I didn't actually think it would be that good."

Personally, I find it hard to get into war movies. Films like Apocalypse Now and Saving Private Ryan didn't do it for me and Full Metal Jacket has a first half that overshadows its second half. This wasn't the case here. From beginning to end, I was glued to my seat. There was never a dull moment and I was invested in everything that was going on.

I have to give major props to Andrew Garfield. I think it's his best performance yet, even better than The Amazing Spider-Man movies. He's just so good-natured, awkward, and stuck to his beliefs from the get-go that we grow attached to him already.

That, of course, leads us to quickly sympathize with him during the first half when he is training in the army. He was doing okay until he refused to pick up a rifle. We see the struggle that he is going through in wanting to become a medic without ever shooting someone. He wants to save lives, not take them.

Not only do we see this situation from his perspective, but from Vince Vaughn's drill sergeant character as well. I was quite surprised to see Vince Vaughn in a more serious role, though he is not without some comedic moments as well. We see him as an understanding but doubtful guy who wonders if Doss would be reliable at all. All this time, he suggests that Doss should quit, which just makes the situation even harder for the latter.

I also liked Hugo Weaving as the father. He is a drunken jerk who served in World War I and is confused on why both of his boys want to go to war. There are a lot of layers to this character, making it one of my favorite performances from Weaving. It's a bit of a departure from his more menacing roles like Agent Smith from The Matrix, something which I welcome.

I also liked Teresa Palmer as Doss's girlfriend, Dorothy (Teresa Palmer). On her own, her character is a little flat and the way she and Doss meet falls under the "love at first sight" trope. However, when they are on screen together, they are just adorable to watch. I thought both actors had pretty good chemistry altogether. This only makes the audience want Doss to survive and make it home to his lover.

Then there is the entire second half of the movie. First off, I do not recommend Hacksaw Ridge for those who are squeamish. It does not hold back on the violence, being intense, brutal, and graphic as heck. It wants to show us the ugliness of war. We see soldiers blowing up, getting stabbed, burned alive, and shot. I can handle a lot of graphic violence, but when I began cringing (in a good way) and feeling shocked at a lot of these scenes, that's when I knew that this was all well-directed. Everything from the editing, sound design, sound mixing, score by Rupert Gregson-Williams, and gritty lighting made this a wild ride.

What is great about the entire second half is that it was all believable; the danger felt absolutely real. There is this moment where Doss takes advantage of the smoke by using it as cover to rescue more soldiers. The whole time, I was scared for Doss's life because we never know when a Japanese soldier might spot him and take his life. There are many moments like that; it's like if the general gameplay of the Metal Gear series was successfully brought to life on the big screen.

I had a blast with Hacksaw Ridge. I didn't think it would be that good, but I was incredibly surprised. It is easily one of my favorite movies of this year. I was so invested from beginning to end. The story was engaging, the performances were spot on, and the battle scenes were intense. I haven't enjoyed a war movie in such a long time. Not only is this an instant recommendation (at least to those not squeamish at grisly violence), but I really think it is...

SOMETHING WONDERFUL

No comments:

Post a Comment