Friday, June 26, 2015

Top 20 Films of the 2010's Decade... so far


Making a list of my favorite games of the decade so far was kind of easy. Making a list of my favorite films of this decade so far is the exact opposite. I'm a film buff. I'll watch whatever is worth watching, while also discovering some hidden gems that deserve a little more attention. I've watched a lot of movies this decade that it was hard picking out what to rank high or low, or what films I liked the most to even include on the list. Well, it has finally been decided.

The only criteria that I have is that they have to have been theatrically released (at least in their country of origin or a film festival) between January 1, 2010 and December 31, 2014. I won't include any films that came out in 2015. That will be its own list later this year. Before I begin, here are my honorable mentions:

Tangled, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Inception, MelancholiaMidnight in Paris, The Hunger Games series, ParaNorman, Life of Pi, The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, The Wind Rises, The World's End, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Big Hero 6, Edge of Tomorrow, John Wick, Boyhood, Birdman, and Big Eyes.

I know that was a huge list, but I couldn't go on without mentioning them since they are all worth checking out. Now that that's over, sit back and enjoy my Top 20 Films of the 2010's decade so far.
_______________________________________________

20. The Tree of Life

"The nuns taught us there were two ways of life - the way of nature and the way of grace. You have to choose which one to follow."

2011 was quite a year for art house films. One notable film is Lars von Trier's Melancholia, which captured depression pretty well. Another one is Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life which has a lot to offer, and put together in such a strange, yet fascinating way.

The movie actually alternates between two stories in a nonlinear narrative. One follows the life of this family in Texas. Three children are raised by their mother, who represents grace, and their father, who represents nature.

The other story is about the creation of the universe, and some glimpses of early life. The universe scenes are very stunning to watch due to the lack of CGI and more focus on practical effects. They were all done by VFX veteran, Douglas Trumbull, which gives me the same feeling I get when I watch 2001: A Space Odyssey.

This is the very film that got me into director Terrence Malick's work. His movies are not for everyone which is why this didn't blow me away the first time watching it. But with some repeated viewings and doing a bit of research, I began to appreciate it more. If anyone is in for a spiritual experience, this is the film for you.

19. About Time

Domnhall Gleeson plays a young man named Tim, who discovers from his father (played by Bill Nighy) that all men in his family can travel through time. I'm not talking about traveling to a different time period, but rather traveling to moments that he had already lived through and change them around. He then decides to use this new-found ability to find himself a girlfriend.

What's great about this movie is that I had no idea where it was going most of the time. Just when one thing is done, another thing happens that just takes advantage of the whole time travel concept really nicely.

Domnhall Gleeson's character comes off as really likable and selfless that the audience wishes the best out of him. In addition, the chemistry between him and Rachel McAdams is really spot-on and make for a great on-screen couple. Heck, even the interactions between him and his family deserve a nice mention as you can tell how much they get along.

I don't have that many complaints apart from a couple of plot holes, but they're not enough to break the movie for me. It's an engaging romantic time travel story that managed to earn a spot on this list.

18. Whiplash

"There are no two words in the English language more harmful than 'good job.'"

So apparently, J. Jonah Jameson retired from the Daily Bugle to become a music teacher. Sweet!

Miles Teller plays this jazz drummer who enrolls in this music class and is mentored by a hardcore and brutal music teacher, played by J. K. Simmons. Tellers' character has a desire to be one of the best and the viewers can see his ambition, even if he's not the nicest guy in the world.

J. K. Simmons steals the show for me. Miles Tellers' character may be jerk with a heart of gold, but Simmons' character is even more a jerk, but a passionate one at that. He is like a time bomb just waiting to explode, due to how intimidating he is. If I had a teacher like that, I would instantly quit.

The heck that Miles Teller goes through because of his teacher is really intense and you can really feel his pain and fury as he sheds his blood, sweat, and tears trying to drum perfectly while Simmons is flat out yelling at him. The cutting of various close-up shots between the actors adds even more tension.

Whiplash is an insane but inspiring movie with well-done performances, fantastic directing, and sick drumming. It's one I'll be enjoying for time to come.

17. The Fault in Our Stars

"Pain demands to be felt."

I came in not knowing much about it. I've never read the book, nor have I seen the trailers; I just knew what the plot was and that's it. And to tell you the truth, I was surprised with how well it turned out.

It follows two cancer survivors, played brilliantly by Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort, who meet and fall in love with each other. It has a very optimistic feeling as the two leads are just so likable and adorable that they were made for each other. It balances out comedy and drama so well that you'll laugh and possibly cry by the end.

Of course, Woodley and Elgort aren't the only ones worthy of praise. Nat Wolff of Naked Brothers Band fame puts on a surprisingly good performance as a teenage boy who gets dumped by his girlfriend shortly before being blind. Even Willem DaFoe's performance is great, playing an author who comes off as a drunken jerk, yet has hidden depths that make him more than that.

I'm going to be honest, though: I didn't cry during this movie at all. I don't know, but maybe the movie can be a little manipulative at times. While the emotions were in the right place, I didn't break down crying nor shed a single tear. though that's maybe because it's difficult for me to do so. I did feel for the characters and it's good enough for me. Definitely check it out if you haven't.

16. Kung Fu Panda 2

"Your story may not have such a happy beginning, but that doesn't make you who you are."

I remember some fellow classmates talking about Kung Fu Panda 2 and how it's just for kids. I tried convincing them that this movie was more than just that. I wasn't sure if they were really convinced, but I still stand by this view.

While it is just as lighthearted as the first, even having a lot of hilarious jokes, I really appreciate the mature tone that many of us did not expect in a Dreamworks movie. Po's backstory alone actually made me close to shedding manly tears, which only a few movies could pull off.

It also features a great villain voiced by Gary Oldman. It's not every day when a peacock is actually very threatening, but also having a lot of funny moments, especially his interactions with the Oracle.

It is just as good as the first movie, but do I think it's better? It's kind of hard to say, as I hold them both in equal regard, so one cannot top the other. However, I can easily say it is one of Dreamworks' greatest accomplishments. It upped the jokes, provided some great fight scenes (though maybe a little too much), and was all around emotionally engaging. I am seriously looking forward to how Kung Fu Panda 3 will follow up on this next year.

15. Kick-Ass

"At some point in our lives, we all wanna be a superhero."

Thank you, BlackBeltDragon, for getting me into this movie. I didn't really have any expectations for a violent R-rated superhero movie, but I found myself surprisingly enjoying it, and it's a movie in which I can write but can't verbally speak its title (because I don't swear).

Aaron Johnson plays a teenage boy who sets out to become a superhero, donning the name "Kick-Ass." He also meets two vigilantes, a former cop named Big Daddy (played by Nicholas Cage) and his daughter, Hit Girl (played by Chloë Grace Moretz) who are trying to take down a mob boss.

The main character who steals the show is Hit Girl. Every minute that she kicks butt (no pun intended) is great to watch, mainly because it's shocking to see a little girl perform all these acts, curse, and look innocent at the same time.

The movie serves as a deconstruction to superhero tropes, showing the consequences of a superhero with no powers trying to fight crime, and it's all played for laughs. Yeah, I found it surprisingly hilarious, due to some of the black comedy that would have made me cringe, but instead got a chuckle out of me, making it one of the few R-rated comedies that I actually find funny.

Kick-Ass is violent, irreverent, and full of black comedy that I will re-watch over and over again.

14. The Perks of Being a Wallflower

"I feel infinite."

Seeing The Perks of Being a Wallflower reminded me of when I was a freshman in high school. I was struggling to make friends, but then, out of nowhere, an upperclassman came to me and we became best friends.

This is sort of like how Charlie, (played by Logan Lerman) befriended Sam and Patrick (played by Emma Watson and Ezra Miller, respectively). By hearing the plot alone, I knew I was able to instantly connect with this movie. I love the bond between them that I can buy the fact that they are good friends. Charlie himself has a lot more dimension, as he is troubled for an unknown reason, and it's not because of he's a loner.

The movie's not perfect though. The Rocky Horror scenes were a little uncomfortable for me to watch, in my personal opinion. There is also this conflict in the middle act that splits the friends apart for a while, which I thought felt contrived just to challenge them.

However, what made this movie work were its deep character moments and interactions and that's all that mattered. It may seem like your generic high school movie, but this one came off as fresh and new. It's funny, dramatic, and relatable to those who were introverted as well.

13. Silver Linings Playbook

"You have to do everything you can, you have to work your hardest, and if you do, if you stay positive, you have a shot at a silver lining."

I once mentioned that Silver Linings Playbook was tied with The Perks of Being a Wallflower as my favorite film of 2012. That one I've changed my mind (check #7), but it still deserves a mention on this list.

Bradley Cooper plays Pat, a bipolar guy who moves in with his family after being released from a mental institute, and tries to make things right for his failed marriage. Along the way, he befriends Tiffany (played by Jennifer Lawrence), a troubled character who recently lost her husband, and they form a bond together due to the things they have in common.

Both characters are really sympathetic because of the heck they go through, just trying to make things right for themselves. While it can come across as sad, the movie tries to balance things out with its humor, having a lot of funny character interactions and moments that had me bursting out laughing, especially from the performances of Robert DeNiro and Chris Tucker.

Looking back, it kind of reeks of Oscar bait, but it's a good kind of Oscar bait movie. Like Wallflower, it seems to be your typical romantic comedy, but I grew more fond of this movie every time I watch it. Excelsior!

12. Frozen

"Conceal, don't feel."

It's been a year and a half and the Frozen craze still hasn't died down. Honestly, can you really blame them? There are a lot of things that make it very admirable and highly likely to stand the test of time.

The story, while not perfect in some areas, is well-written, and it even jabs at some cliches that Disney has been accused of. When Elsa said Anna couldn't marry a man she met in less than a day, I applauded deep inside. On top of that, the characters are all great. Even Olaf, the comic relief, doesn't turn out to be annoying and he actually cracks me up every time he is on-screen.
.
The songs are still great, that I often play them on my iPod. "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" is very touching; "For the First Time in Forever" and "Love Is an Open Door" are pretty catchy; "In Summer" is hilarious; and I still enjoy "Let it Go." Sure, it's overplayed and is subject to millions of covers and parodies, but I don't let those get in the way of appreciating the stunning imagery and animation in that sequence.

A sequel has been announced recently and I'm not exactly optimistic about it. I seriously doubt that it will recapture the magic and brilliance that this movie brought to us.

11. Wolf Children

A reviewer by the name of Cellspex placed this at number one on her Worst to Best Animated Movies of 2013, so out of curiosity, I checked it out. If by some chance she happens to find this list, I just want to tell her "Thank you for introducing me to this movie!"

The story centers on a young woman named Hana who meets and falls in love with a half-wolf man and eventually gives birth to two children named Ame and Yuki who can transform into wolves at will. Things take a turn for the worse when the father dies and Hana is now left to raise their children alone. Desperate to keep their lycanthropy a secret, they move out of the city and into the countryside to live out their lives.

What makes this such a well-told story are the characters arcs between Hana, Yuki, and Ame. Hana goes through a lot of trouble, keeping their secret from the world and adjusting to being a single mother. Ame and Yuki, on the other hand, try to adjust between being humans and wolves, even down to having to decide which life to live. Honestly, these are some of the most well-written child characters due to their complexity.

Even with all these hardships, the movie has a rather positive and uplifting tone, and at times, the more emotional scenes can be really... emotional. Top that off with its beautiful animation and one of my favorite scores of all time, it has become one of my favorite animated movies in recent years.

10. Kingsman: The Secret Service

"Manners maketh man."

Wait a minute, this is a 2015 film, isn't it? That's where you're wrong. It premiered at a film festival in December 2014. So technically, it's a 2014 movie, therefore it's eligible to be on this list.

What's great about this movie is that it brings back the cheesiness of old spy movies and brings them to the modern age. It's always great to have something outlandish and over the top with some cool gadgets once in a while, balancing out the dark and gritty stuff we get a lot of nowadays. It doesn't satirize old spy tropes, but rather subverts them, playing around with our expectations.

On top of that, I love the cast of characters. Colin Firth's Harry Hart shows how much he can kick butt in his fifties while being a gentleman at the same time. Taron Egerton's Eggsy is a well-developed character, going from a trouble-making street kid, to a gentleman spy. And let's not forget Samuel L. Jackson's hilarious performance as the main villain, who is cowardly, genre savvy, and speaks with a lisp.

Kingsman is a great love letter to old spy films. With good characters, entertaining action sequences, and hilarious comedy, it is one not to miss.

9. Wreck-It Ralph

"I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me."

When Disney announced they were making a movie that had actual video game characters like Sonic the Hedgehog, M. Bison from Street Fighter, Pacman and even Q*Bert, we squeed with joy. However, I wasn't sure about whether the movie would be any good. After viewing it, Wreck-It Ralph exceeded my expectations and became one of my favorite Disney movies of all time.

The movie follows Ralph, a video game villain who wants to be appreciated more. The audience quickly comes to sympathize with him due to him being an outcast. He even meets another video game character, Vanellope, who is also an outcast due to her being a glitch. There are also many twists and turns that make it all the more interesting to watch.

There are loads of game references that can easily geek a gamer out. Of course, as previously mentioned, it features real life video game characters... who are just there in the background. Actually, it's fine if they were mostly just background characters, that way we wouldn't be distracted from the movie's story and characters.

This not only satisfied me as a film buff, but also as a gamer. It is a great love-letter to retro gaming, full of memorable characters, stunning animation, and great references that made it all worthwhile. Seriously, I'd rather see a sequel to this or Big Hero 6 than Frozen.

8. Song of the Sea

I haven't watched The Secret of Kells yet, but Song of the Sea was an absolute delight to watch. Just watching this movie makes me feel sad that we don't have a lot of traditionally animated movies here in North America, and one of this kind of quality.

It tells the tale of siblings Ben and Saoirse (pronounced SEAR-shuh) who are taken by their grandmother from their father, who is depressed after losing his wife six years prior.

It is also discovered that Saoirse is part selkie, a magical seal that can transform into a human. Ben and Saoirse run away to return to their home while also bumping into magical creatures from Irish folklore that their mother used to tell them about.

Already the audience is able to sympathize with the broken family. Ben can come off as mean to his mute sister, but we understand his bitterness due to him losing his mother at the beginning of the film, and only grows as a character as the film progresses. Honestly, there is a lot more talk about that I don't have time to discuss in a countdown.

Coupled with gorgeous visuals and a chilling atmosphere, Song of the Sea is an enchanting and timeless tale that deserves more attention than it does right now.

7. Skyfall

"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

After this was announced, I decided to get into the Bond series for the first time and what a better time to do so. I became acquainted with the many aspects of the series and started to become familiar with the series' formula, which Haphazard Stuff described in detail. That pretty much prepared me for what is to come with the series in the future.

Daniel Craig is fantastic as usual, playing a washed-up Bond trying to get back into shape. He goes up against the main villain played by Javier Bardem, who is after his boss, M, for personal reasons. The villain is a little goofy, but comes across as menacing.

Being Judi Dench's last film as M, she gave it her all and went out on a high note. Just seeing her depart from the Bond franchise made it the saddest moment in the series. That's right; even sadder than the ending of On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Honestly, this was a better anniversary movie than Die Another Day ever was, and it also made up for the disappointment known as Quantum of Solace. It has some of the best action that the Bond franchise has offered (with no shaky cam or rapid editing to ruin it), great acting, amazing cinematography, one of the best theme songs ever, and a nice sense of fun with a bit of the grittiness we've come to expect in the Daniel Craig era.

6. The Lego Movie

"Everything is Awesome!"

When I first saw the trailer, it didn't grab me at all. I thought it would be one of those typical and obnoxious kids' movies that will make older audiences groan. That was until I heard all the praise towards it that I checked it out. After watching it, I was totally blown away, and regretted misjudging this movie.

Having played with Legos before, whether it would be the actual toys or the video games, I was blown away with how much creativity and imagination was put in. Creativity is even a recurring theme. I already started having a connection after relating with the main character, Emmett, as he has trouble becoming a Master Builder, pretty much like how I have trouble making artwork.

The comedy is well-done, being fast-paced, but having a lot of jokes that are well-timed. The characters are also memorable and likable. Come on, who doesn't love the adorable Princess Unikitty? The animation is also top-notch. It's CGI emulating stop-motion animation, kind of like those fan-made Lego videos you see on YouTube.

The Lego Movie is another unique animated film that will be looked at for years to come. Everything down to its casting, comedy, and overall creativity that makes it a nice treat for moviegoers, which makes it all the more harsh when it barely got any recognition at the Oscars.

5. Her

If this movie had a wide release before I made the Top 7 list two years ago, I definitely would have included it. It centers around Theodore (played by Joaquin Phoenix), a lonely man who forms a relationship with an Operating System named Samantha (voiced by Scarlett Johansson). Now the idea isn't really original, since shows like The Twilight Zone and Futurama did their own spin on it, but it is so well-done that it doesn't quite matter.

As Doug Walker described it: "The tone is both uncomfortable and relaxing, even the constant close ups and Phoenix's face seem to create the intimacy such a strange tale like this needs." The idea seems very odd, but that is exactly what it was going for, as it had moments that left me raising an eyebrow, but after a while, it also had its touching moments.

When I really think about it, I can see a little bit of myself in Phoenix's character. He has trouble expressing emotions apart from writing, pretty much like how I express myself through these blogs. When I can relate with a character like this, then this movie got a whole lot more special to me.

Both Joaquin Phoenix and Scarlett Johansson did an amazing job with their performances. Even if Johansson provided her voice for a machine, she was so believable that I began to feel a bond between the two characters. The movie also has some of the most colorful visuals and set designs I have ever seen. When I think of Her, I think of the color red, which there is a lot of.

It is so well done that I consider this to be director Spike Jonze's best film to date, even better than the oddly imaginative Being John Malkovich.

4. Blue is the Warmest Color

I've gushed over this movie a few times, so you're probably tired of me talking about it. I kind of am, too, but hey, this is a countdown where I list my favorite films of the decade, so what can I do about it?

Based on the graphic novel of the same name, it tells the story of a high-school student named Adèle who meets a blue-haired lesbian named Emma and falls in love with her. They eventually form a romantic relationship and we see the years go by as they live on with their lives together.

For a film that is three hours long, it never felt boring the whole way because, being a fan of certain romances, I was so emotionally invested in the two female leads who both did an amazing job with their roles. Though I will admit, the sex scenes between them did kind of drag, but that's only a minor complaint.

Whatever your sexual orientation is, it's an honest, relatable, and very emotional coming-of-age film that I am glad to have discovered. It's worthy of the number 4 spot on this list.

3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows



"These are dark times, there is no denying."

I questioned the decision to split the last Harry Potter book into two movies, but I understood as there was a lot of material to cover. Besides, I think this was one of the better two-part movies, as for the most part, every scene felt important and not stuffed with filler.

Part 1 has a nice change of pace as the main trio Harry, Ron, and Hermione do not return to Hogwarts, as they go on a journey to find out how to destroy Lord Voldemort once and for all. Due to the Death Eaters taking over the wizarding world, everywhere they go is not safe, leading to a bit of tension. There is also great development between the main characters, and even some good stand-out moments with the supporting cast, like the return of Dobby the house elf.

This is then perfectly followed up with the epic second part, where all heck breaks loose, resulting in one of the greatest battles in film history. Spells are cast, parts of Hogwarts is being torn down, people are dying, it's like the world itself was falling apart. I was at the edge of my seat wondering what would happen next.

Part 2 was the first movie I have seen in theaters more than once, and it certainly wasn't the last. When I walked out of the theater after this movie finished, I reflected on the memories I had with the Harry Potter series, and how much it played a part in my childhood and teen-hood.

It was an emotionally satisfying conclusion on this epic franchise and it was wonderful to grow up with it as the series went on.

2. Toy Story 3

"So long, partner."

Harry Potter
 wasn't the only childhood series to have a satisfying conclusion this decade. Eleven years after the last Toy Story, Pixar has succeeded in their task of creating a third installment that lives up to its predecessors.

The movie finds Woody, Buzz, and the rest of Andy's toys accidentally being donated to a daycare. They plan to bust out, but not without running into some obstacles on the way. What's great about Toy Story 3 is that it addresses the question that second movie had: what would happen once Andy outgrows his toys?

While not funniest in the series, it still left us with good laughs. Five years later, and I still can't get enough of Spanish Buzz. Not just that, but it's well balanced out with some drama. I know Pixar has done some tearjerker movies like Finding NemoWALL-E, and Up, but the entire third act of this movie had me choked up. I'm pretty sure we were all at the edge of our seats just wanting the toys to make it out fine and return home.

This was a great way to end the Toy Story trilogy. It was released at just the right time, since most us who grew up with the first two were either in high school or college when this came out. It's this connection that hit home with us. Those who didn't grow up with the series, however, will still view it as a great installment, and one of Pixar's greatest works.

1. How to Train Your Dragon 1 & 2


It was actually very hard deciding between Toy Story 3 and these films. In the end, I went with the latter. I've praised these movies enough, even doing a full review on the first movie, so what new thing can I add? Well, How to Train Your Dragon is my favorite film series that began in the 2010s, with The Hunger Games being a runner-up. The amount of heart and ambition that went into creating these films astounds me, and I consider both movies to be Dreamworks' magnum opus.

The first movie featured a growing friendship between Hiccup and the dragon Toothless. Despite having a lot of familiar tropes, it still manages to have good character development and amazing flying sequences.

The second movie upped the ante by aging the characters, giving us a menacing villain, providing more world-building, and having a slightly darker tone compared to the original. It was a fantastic sequel that I went and watched it in theaters seven times, more than any other movie.

What both films succeed at most, however, are its characters, who are identifiable, stand out, and are filled to the brim with personality. The second movie even gives the side characters more to do and have some enjoyable moments. It is all the more reason why this franchise brings the audience into the experience.

These are family films that do not talk down on their audience and actually challenges them and takes risks. Of course, children will be able to appreciate the story about a boy and his dragon, the many designs of the creatures, and the funny individual moments. Adults will appreciate the mature themes presented in both movies, like war and peace, amputation, and family hardships, to name a few.

There are of course other aspects to give praise, like the attention to detail, voice acting, and John Powell's iconic scores, all of which I don't have time to talk about. With the third movie coming out in 2018, the series could have potential in becoming one of the greatest movie trilogies of all time, right up there with Star Wars (the originals), The Lord of the Rings, and Toy Story. Until then, we have these two movies and the TV show to keep us occupied.
_____________________________________________

There you guys have it. Those are my favorite films of the 2010's so far. Let's see what the other half of this decade will offer for us next. If I happen to still be blogging by the year 2020, I may have to follow up on making a list of my favorite films of the 2010s overall. Let me tell you, that's going to be even harder.

So tell me, what are your favorite films of the decade? Do you agree or disagree with my picks? Feel free to comment below, or on the It's Tail Time forums.

No comments:

Post a Comment