Friday, February 7, 2020

Top 10 Games of the 2010's


A lot has happened in the past ten years. To me, I went from owning a few games to having a huge collection. I discovered a lot of games and franchises that I never thought I would get into for the longest time. Nearly every title that I reviewed on this blog site came as a result of these discoveries.

Of course, I didn't just play games that I missed out on in the mid-90's and the 2000's; I tried to keep up with some of the latest releases in the 2010's. Aside from the usual big-budget mainstream titles, the decade also saw a rise in indie games, proving that a smaller team without the backing of a publisher can still make a big impact. Aspiring game designers either break away from the norm and provide something new or return to old styles of gameplay with added twists. There is something for everybody, that's the big takeaway here.

Now that we've reached a new decade, it is now time to list some of my favorite games to have come out within the past ten years. There are just so many games to choose from, but only ten will come out as champions. These left the biggest impact on me and I will definitely be going back to these titles whenever I'm not overwhelmed by my backlog. Also, one game per franchise to avoid redundancies.

Some honorable mentions should be taken into account:

- Portal 2 - A great sequel with clever puzzles, hilarious writing, and spectacular voice acting.
- Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - I've warmed up to it a lot over the years, and I now find it to be an extremely fun hack-n-slash title that's worthy of the Metal Gear name.
- Tearaway - A charming and inventive platformer that takes advantage of all the PS Vita's features. Seriously, the Vita deserved so much better.
- Mario Kart 8 - A fun racing title that I can pick up and play any day.
- Bayonetta 2 - Takes what was great about the first game and keeps them, leaving the fun and campiness intact.
- The Last Guardian - A worthy successor to Ico and Shadow of the Colossus with (mostly) great animal-caring mechanics and a sense of danger.
- A Hat in Time - A great throwback to collect-a-thon platformers with its own unique charm and twisted sense of humor
- Kingdom Hearts III - A nice cap to the 17-year story arc with great moments, fun gameplay, and memorable music that defines the series.
- Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled - A great remake that honors the series' history with tons of characters and content. It's the most fun I've had in any racing game to date.

10. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate


I'm not much of a fighting game buff, but I do have a good time playing through the Super Smash Bros. games... even if other players are better at it than I am. What director Masahiro Sakurai and team achieved was bringing every single character from the previous games back, and adding even more like the Inklings (Splatoon), Simon and Richter (Castlevania), and King K. Rool (Donkey Kong), to name a few.

There is also just enough content and options to make for one satisfying package. One moment, you're playing through Classic Mode, another moment you're just casually fighting other players, and another moment you're playing through World of Light (which I still haven't finished). There is something for everybody.

This is definitely the ultimate Super Smash Bros. experience. It's the kind of game that brings people together, being one that I'm always down to play at a friend's house or at conventions. I kind of prefer Mario Kart 8 more in terms of multiplayer fun, but Ultimate is still worthy of landing in my number ten spot.

9. Life is Strange


I love this game, warts and all. I acknowledge that there is stuff to make fun of like the dumb slang (who on Earth says "shaka-brah?"), some unintentionally funny lines ("I was eating those beans!"), and bad lip-syncing. With that said, though, I notice a game that is nevertheless earnest in terms of presentation.

I love stories about reconnecting with old friends, which gives a lot of emotional weight. The chemistry between Max and Chloe is some of the best that I've seen in any video game and I love the back and forth that they have. There is also a great deal of mystery and intrigue as they try to solve a missing persons case and also figure out why Max has these time traveling powers.

Now that I've brought up Max's powers, I have to say that that gameplay feature added to the overall experience. You can see the outcome of a choice and then see if you want to rewind and correct your actions. I do wish there were more moments where your time powers are not in effect, like the scene where Max tries to help out Kate.

The game also has a beautiful art direction where everything looks hand-painted, giving it a unique look. The selection of licensed songs is also a great highlight (I'm crazy about Foal's "Spanish Sahara") which give the game a relaxed feel. This is stuff that makes me overlook the oddities that Life is Strange has.

8. Gris


With a game, sometimes simplicity is key to making a good product. Gris is a platformer game that manages to be pretty straightforward while still leaving a great impression in the end. The gameplay is simple enough to pick up and play, with some good puzzles to overcome in an effort to restore the color of this world.

The art direction is stunningly beautiful, from the wide shots of the detailed backgrounds to the fluid animation of Gris herself. All of this, plus the music by Berlinist, offers a dreamlike atmosphere that makes me feel at peace whenever I play it.

On top of it all, it tells a subtle story about depression and grief, all without words. It's a game that touched my heart in all the right places due to how enthralling the whole experience is. This was seriously overlooked back in 2018, so I urge everyone to check this one out.

7. Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown


Being a casual Ace Combat fan, it's pretty much one of the top games in the series, right up there with the PS2 trilogy. The arcade-style flight combat gameplay is a ton of fun with the right amount of challenge and strategy. Once you pick the right plane, weapons, and additional parts during each mission, you've become a force to be reckoned with.

Everything else from its visuals, call-backs to previous titles, replay value, voice acting, and soundtrack are all what makes it top tier. Well, okay, I didn't get into the story and not a lot of characters won me over (as with other titles), but I don't want to rag on to that. At least we have Long Caster's love for food and Captain Torres's love for crisp, white sheets.

6. The Last of Us


Maybe it's because I introduced this game to my sister a few years back, but I've come to love this game even more over the years. I still commend the well-done gameplay that Naughty Dog provided. The survival aspects, like conserving supplies and sneaking past enemies, make for some really tense moments all around. I also appreciate moments that let the player breathe, like the university level and the iconic giraffe scene.

I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic stories, so The Last of Us gave a thoroughly intriguing tale of not just survival, but also parental love and selfishness. I love the relationship between Joel and Ellie, with the former viewing the latter as his own daughter. It's not all sunshine and rainbows, though, since there are plenty of moments that test them.

It may not be my favorite game of this decade, but I share the praises that everyone gives it. And yes, I'm really looking forward to The Last of Us Part II. I hope it's a great follow-up.

5. Spider-Man


Insomniac Games did an amazing job in developing not just the best Spider-Man game to date, but one of the best superhero games ever made. The open-world gameplay is just about perfect, with the best web-swinging mechanics that are easy to grasp and combat that is just as satisfying. I also felt compelled to complete everything in the game 100% and unlock all of the various costumes, which hardly happens for me in games like this.

The story is also among the most well-written that I've seen. Okay, maybe the last third is a bit rushed, but that hardly puts a dent in the narrative. The characters are also endearing, with some great performances from all the voice actors, especially Yuri Lowenthal as the web-slinger himself. The narrative is chock full of comedy, drama, suspense, and action that rivals even a lot of the Spider-Man movies. It's that good.

I'm all up for a sequel, since there is so much to explore especially after the stingers and DLC teased some stuff. That, or I'm open for another Ratchet & Clank game for Insomniac to develop. Either way, it's all good.

4. Rayman Legends


I had a lot of fun playing Rayman Origins, but its sequel, Rayman Legends, just tops it. While it doesn't do much new to what was already a great predecessor, it is nonetheless a ton of fun to play through. The art style is much more detailed, the platforming gameplay is just as addicting as ever, and the music is great.

The biggest highlight comes to the music stages. A lot of work had to have gone into these because they're so expertly-timed to the beats. I loved running through stages while "Black Betty" or "Eye of the Tiger" played; they just left me with a huge smile on my face. Rayman Legends is definitely one of the top platformer games of the decade and well worth adding to your collection.

Also, Assassin Rayman is best costume.

3. Red Dead Redemption


Nearly five years ago, I named this my favorite game of the decade so far. Well, it's been dethroned ever since, but I still consider it one of the top games that Rockstar has done. I found the story to be just as gripping, dealing with themes such as confronting your past and accepting change. John Marston is also one of the best video game protagonists of all time due to his morals and quest for redemption.

The music is some of the best that I've ever heard, almost Ennio Morricone-esque fitting for a western story. The visuals, while a little rough around the edges these days, continue to delight and help the player become immersed into its world, feeling like you time traveled into the Old West.

The open world gameplay is just right. Not only are the mechanics good, but the game overall is paced well, doesn't overstay its welcome, and has just enough content outside of the main story missions. Red Dead Redemption II does feel more mechanically sound, but it's full of pace-breaking moments due to its emphasis on reality that make me prefer the original way more. This is one I'll be looking back at for years to come.

2. Celeste


If there's one game that touched me on an emotional level this decade, it's Celeste. The story is simple but incredibly effective, as it deals with depression and anxiety in such a unique way. As someone with depression and anxiety, it really helped me to cope in a way. The cast of characters is very minimal, but they all left an impression thanks to some depth that they have.

As for the gameplay, this game is really hard and it really tests your platforming and precision skills. Of course, it's also accessible, with the Assist Options that are there to help if you really need it. Until I reached the C-Side levels and the Chapter 9 DLC, it really made me say "I can do this!" as I made my way from beginning to end in each level that just feels so rewarding.

I also love the pixel art style that gives it a retro but ultimately timeless feel. The soundtrack by Lena Raine is also among the best that I have heard not just of this decade, but of all time. The various melodies and atmospheric tracks really complimented the game well. Celeste is a near-perfect game that's challenging but fair and also touching on an emotional level. It is one mountain-climbing journey that I will never forget.

1. Gravity Rush 2


Both Gravity Rush games have left a huge impact on me. Without the first game, I probably wouldn't be blogging in the first place. The second game inspired me to continue making art. Also, I made a speech in my Public Speaking class talking about why this series is so great, resulting in a couple of classmates showing interest.

Gravity Rush 2 has surpassed the original, quickly becoming one of my favorite games of all time. It takes what was great about the first game and either rolls with it or improves on it. Kat continues to be an endearing protagonist, the other characters are lot better this time around, and the Moebius-inspired visuals continue to delight. The combat is a bit better this time around with improved mechanics and the addition of the Lunar and Jupiter styles of gravity shifting.

There is also a lot more to do outside of the main story missions. The map is a lot bigger than before, but it never feels too bloated or overwhelming. Not to mention that gravity shifting throughout the game's map never gets old. The side missions alone helped bring this world to life and made the game's final hours much more impactful. I also love the addition of the camera. Never have I found taking pictures in a video game this much fun that I think every game should implement these days.

It also gets my pick as my favorite video game soundtrack of the decade. Composer Kohei Tanaka outdid himself with not just bringing back old themes, but also new ones that are just as memorable and charming. No track is mediocre, that's how great it is.

There are a couple of shortcomings, like the stealth sections and the premature end of the online servers, but that's something I can overlook because this game is amazing all around. Congratulations, Gravity Rush 2, you are my favorite game of the 2010's. Hopefully this series gets more love as the years go by.

#DontForgetGravityRush
_________________________

So what are your favorite games of the 2010's? Feel free to leave your list in the comments below. I hope gaming continues to be strong in the 2020's and that there will be more surprises in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment