Monday, December 31, 2018

Top 5 Films of 2018


Following up on my Top 5 Games of 2018 after almost a year of inactivity, I'm keeping up the tradition of naming my favorite films of the year. Unlike my previous yearly countdowns, I will only list five for a variety of reasons. I haven't seen as many as I thought I could, not all of them caught my interest, and many of my picks would feel redundant. If I made this a top 10, there would be a lot of superhero movies, many of which I consider good, but not "movie of the year" material. Besides, I think a Top 5 is better, since they separate the great ones from the good.

Just like my previous countdowns, they have to have premiered at a film festival or in their country of origin within this year. That means Paddington 2, for as wholesome as it is, is disqualified since it's technically a 2017 film. I would love to include it, but I'm an organized freak if you didn't already know. Before I begin, here are my honorable mentions:

Annihilation, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Black Panther, Deadpool 2, Incredibles 2, Mirai, Mission: Impossible - Fallout, and Won't You Be My Neighbor?

Without further ado, here are my Top 5 Films of 2018.

5. Creed II

Having loved Creed, which I thought was a great new direction for the Rocky films, I was excited to see where things could go from here. I wasn't disappointed.

What immediately made it engaging to watch was the progression between the characters. We see Adonis becoming a heavyweight champion and moving his relationship with Bianca to the next level and then some. This is largely contrasted by the antagonists of this movie: Viktor Drago and his father, Ivan.

That's right, Ivan Dragon from Rocky IV is back. After going from a one-dimensional opponent in that movie, Dolph Lungdren managed to humanize the character as a person who lost everything as a result of those events. This is elevated further with the interactions between him and his son. It's a film in which both the heroes' and villains' stories are just as important.

With that, we've also got the boxing scenes and training montages that we've come to expect, all of which are great. Some viewers criticize this movie for being formulaic, which admittedly can be at times. But some tend to overlook the pure, raw emotion and spirit that embodies the Rocky series. As well as that, many of he actors like Michael B. Jordan, Tessa Thompson, and Sylvester Stallone do great in their roles and haven't forgotten why we love them. For that, I think Creed II is a winner in my eyes and not one to be missed.

4. Ralph Breaks the Internet

Ralph Breaks the Internet has quickly become a contested sequel, with many debating on its quality and how it fares against its predecessor. I'm one of those who sees it as a worthy follow-up that doesn't forget the charm and heart that Wreck-It Ralph gave us six years ago.

Ralph Breaks the Internet is a sort-of accurate depiction of internet culture, showing the positives and the negatives. It's also a bit of Disney fan service that thankfully is not intrusive. In fact, the appearance of the Disney Princesses play a part in Vanellope's character arc and led to a hilarious musical parody of those "I Want" songs. Have I mentioned that Alan Menken wrote that song, by the way?

On top of that, what makes this movie are the themes of friendship and dependence. Without giving anything away, let's just say I want to congratulate Disney for taking a bold direction rather than copping out. The lesson at the end spoke to me on a personal level, and it was the movie I needed to see.

Parts of the film concerning internet culture will feel dated, but its story and themes make it timeless enough. Not to mention that it's got a ton of laughs, heartfelt moments, and exceptionally well-made character animations. It's by no means a perfect movie, and I can understand some criticisms, but for what we've got, I'm pretty satisfied.

3. Isle of Dogs

Wes Anderson returns to the field of animation. Instead of a talking fox robbing from horrible crooks so different in looks, it centers around a group of dogs residing in an island full of garbage. That's probably a rare sentence right there.

One fascinating thing about this movie is the use of language and communication. The dogs speak English for the audience while the human characters speak in Japanese, usually with someone else translating for them or guessing what they're saying. It gives an interesting portrayal of the language barrier that I haven't seen as of yet.

The stop-motion animation and visuals are top-notch. The dogs move like dogs and the like. Also, for a movie that's mostly set on a trash island, it does offer some nice color palettes that make it pleasing to the eyes.

All of this is surrounded by a typical "a boy and his dog" story that has the right amount of charm that we look forward to in a Wes Anderson movie. It offers enough great performances from its all-star cast, hilarious deadpan humor, and strangely heartfelt moments that continues to show why he is one of the best directors working today. Also, you can't go wrong with dogs, am I right?

2. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

2018 has been a great for Spider-Man. Not only did we get one of the best games on the PS4 (check my Top 5 Games of 2018 for more on that), but we also have one of the best Spider-Man movies in a long time.

The refreshing thing about this movie is that it's centered around Miles Morales rather than Peter Parker, who manages to be an endearing character on his own. What's also great is his relationship with other characters. His relationship with his dad? Great. His relationship with his uncle? Great. His relationship with the Peter Parker from another dimension? Also great.

Oh, yeah: different dimensions. While this is a Miles Morales movie first, it does also give other Spider-Men-- uh, Spider-People their time to shine. There's the broken and disillusioned Peter Parker who reluctantly becomes Miles's mentor. Then there's others like Spider-Gwen, Peni Parker, Spider-Ham, and Spider-Man Noir (gloriously voiced by Nicholas Cage) who have just the right amount of screen time to make for an entertaining movie.

The animation is also breathtaking. It is unique due to its low frame rate and intentional choppy movements that make it look like a comic book was brought to life. Even some of the other Spider-People like Peni, Spider-Ham, and Noir are rendered in a way that suits their respective art styles. This also paved the way to some amazing action scenes that I felt live-action would only water it down.

With its great premise, amazing characters, innovative animation, and entertaining action scenes, this is one of the best Spider-Man films to date that not only captures the spirit and tragedy of the web-slinger, but shows that anyone can be a hero.

In memory of
Stan Lee (1922-2018) and Steve Ditko (1927-2018)

1. Avengers: Infinity War

Avengers: Infinity War is one of the most intense and emotionally charged movies that I have seen. It's a film that asks just one question: what are you willing to sacrifice to save the universe? Numerous heroes, both major and minor, spend the whole movie trying to figure this out.

Even Thanos, the main villain, is left figuring out what to sacrifice. That's right: the main villain and major threat that the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy are up against is also a complex character. This is because his plan to wipe out half the universe's population is his way of saving it. When we find out why, we understand even if mass genocide is not something that we condone. Add Josh Brolin's chilling performance, and that makes him the best villain in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Despite the large cast of characters that would have made this movie feel cluttered, it's mostly well-balanced. Nearly everyone gets their chance to shine and have the appropriate amount of focus and screen time. Actors like Chris Hemsworth, Zoe Saldana, and Robert Downey, Jr. gave it their all to portray their roles with a lot of depth.

The action is some of the best that the MCU has provided, and they're not flashy for the sake of it. There is a reason why these set pieces are taking place and the strengths of our heroes are tested. Each of the characters' main abilities are put to use, making for some visually stunning moments.

Infinity War is a huge mix of emotions, from thrills and fun to dread and hopelessness. Fun isn't something one considers when watching a movie that emotionally wrecks you. But this does put a smile on my face. It's the culmination of everything that has transpired in this franchise for the past ten years, and the payoff was worth it. The one downside is that if you haven't watched all of the previous MCU films, I don't recommend jumping into this one right away due to continuity lockout.

Nevertheless, this is one film that many of us will be looking back at for years to come. The theater experience I had on opening day alone is one of my favorite moments, reacting alongside many fans during its pivotal moments. And that's one for the favorites list:


Those are my Top 5 Films of 2018. Tell me in the comments on what your favorites were this year. I apologize for the lack of blog posts this year; I wanted to clear my head during my absence. Hopefully I'm a little more active in 2019. I have ideas; I just have to act on them. I hope everyone has a Happy New Year and here's to more great movies in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Here's my list. Hope you like it.
    https://jacobsonbblog.wordpress.com/2019/01/09/my-top-10-favorite-movies-of-2018/

    ReplyDelete